Get Wines Direct – Proudly Family Owned & Operated Welcome to Get Wines Direct one of Australia’s pioneering online wine retailers, you order as you wish with no committed memberships and no obligations. Wine when you want it, ordered as you need it. We are a proudly family owned and operated retailer with offices located on the Sunshine Coast, Melbourne and The Barossa Valley. We are not just another retailer. Our family have worked in all aspects of the industry including grape growing, winemaking, wine exporting, wine marketing, wine sales and wine production, so we offer a wide and diverse range of skills which results in the best possible experience you will find in wine retailing but with a difference. We make it fun. We pride ourselves first and foremost on customer service and also our ability to bring our loyal customers the best deals on red wine, white wine and sparkling wine from Australia and from around the world.
We have a $9 flat rate per carton for delivery, Australia wide. Get Wines Direct does not deliver to areas that are classified by the Australian Government as dry zones or general restricted areas.
Get Wines Direct supports the responsible service of alcohol. It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to, or to obtain alcohol on behalf of, a person under the age of 18 years. You must be over 18 to place an order online or to receive a delivery.
You can request that your delivery is left on your doorstep if no-one is home. Our delivery drivers reserve the right to leave a card (instead of your order) even if you request an unattended delivery. They may do so if:
There is no clear delivery instruction authorising them to leave the parcel in a safe place
Somebody is home but they cannot provide proof of age
The driver is concerned that minors are present in the vicinity of your premises
Return PolicyReturns and Refunds
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your Get Wines Direct order, therefore we provide you with a 100% money back guarantee.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your order, you can return it to us, with an explanation as to why you returned the wine. We will refund the amount of your order (pro rata if only some items in your order are returned), minus the original delivery fee.
To qualify for the 100% satisfaction guarantee:
You must advise us that you wish to return the products within 365 days of receiving your order. We will provide you with information about how to return your products. We will pay the return delivery cost. Should Australia Post be unsuccessful in contacting you after two attempts the collection request will be cancelled by Australia Post. Should you wish to re-lodge another collection attempt, a $6.83 re-lodgement fee will be incurred.
For orders consisting of 12 bottles, up to two bottles in any twelve (12) bottle purchase may be sampled. Get Wines Direct will refund you for the entire value of the product provided the remaining 10 bottles are returned in the same condition that they were dispatched, minus the delivery fee.
For orders of less than 12 bottles, up to 25% of the number of bottles may be sampled. Get Wines Direct will refund you for the entire value of the purchase provided the remaining 75% of bottles are returned in the same condition they were dispatched.
Bonus items must be returned with the original carton purchased. If you wish to retain the bonus item, the difference in cost of the bonus item will be deducted from the original purchase amount.
Some locations are unserviceable by the Australia Post collection service. If you do fall into one of these areas, you will be required to return your items to your local Post Office. Return Labels will be provided to ensure you are not charged for the return.